A Potted History of Weymouth
- Posted by:
- Posted date:
In the 1500’s Weymouth, as we know it today, was two different areas Melcombe Regis to the north of the river and Weymouth to the south. The two communities were forever feuding so in 1571 Elizabeth 1 granted a royal charter to unite the areas to make the boroughs of Weymouth and Melcombe Regis and has become the town we know as Weymouth today. The town is situated on the south coast of England in the county of Dorset. Weymouth Bay is part of the English Channel and was known in the past as England’s Bay of Naples.
The harbour has been part of British history for centuries. In 1588 ships sailed to meet the Spanish Armada, ships sailed to the Americas in the 1600 to help populate Newfoundland and in 1700 a ferry service was established between Weymouth and the Channel Islands. In 1824 a great storm destroyed the esplanade and nearly washed away the village of Fleet. In 1900 Weymouth was a staging post for troops to sail to the Normandy landing. In the 21st century the harbour has now become a place to relax and enjoy the fine restaurants and pubs that adorn the quay sides.
The Redcliff is situated on Brunswick Terrace towards the end of a row of grade 2 listed Victorian terraced houses completed in 1827 and has spectacular views across Weymouth bay. The guest house still has many of the original features including the sash windows, narrow Victorian stair cases and ship timber floor boards in the dining room.